Thursday, October 17, 2013

3rd Annual Burns' PCB Vacation

This year was the 3rd year Jacin's parents have graciously taken us on a fall week-long vacation to Panama City Beach, Florida. Just like the previous 2 years, this year's beach trip was awesome!

Everybody went, and by that I mean Granny & PawPaw (Jacin's parents), Uncle Jared & Aunta Yaya (Jacin's brother & sister), and our little family of 4.















It was great to get away and be together. And for me, it was truly a time of rest and relaxation. For everyone else... well, you'll just have to ask them. Let me explain:

Somehow, when I signed up for stay-at-home motherhood, I didn't realize that I was accepting a job with no off hours. You see, stay-at-home moms never clock out. The work day doesn't begin and end. The job of mom is perpetual and never-ending, in more ways than one. In some jobs, you have specific office hours and then leave for the day. Not so with motherhood. In the work-a-day world, you might get a lunch or coffee break every now and then when you can gather your thoughts or spend time with a friend. Not so for a stay-at-home mom. For many employees, a big job perk is working with fun and creative adults. Adults? At home, you're working with (sometimes )fun and (potentially dangerous) creative KIDS. Big difference. And the deadlines and to-do lists some may have in the office? Forget it. Although stay-at-home moms may check off some things on their own to-do list, those things never really have a definite ending. (Even when you empty the dishwasher or fold and put away clean clothes, there will ALWAYS be dirty dishes or clothes awaiting you.) So you get my point. Motherhood is a 24/7 job that is cyclical and constant.

So back to vacation... taking a family trip means, first of all, that I have other ADULTS to talk to during the day!! Second, taking a family vacation means that I have other adults to HELP ME entertain and take care of the wahoos! What's not to like about this situation? And (let me just brag a bit here...) every single day of our PCB vacation last week, my precious hubster got the boys up, took them downstairs, and fed them while I slept in until 8:30 or 9am!!! At meal times, other family members besides myself helped feed the boys meals. On the beach, the boys had so many playmates and snugglers that they hardly needed me! And the last night of our week there, Granny & PawPaw took the boys while Jacin and I went out to eat by ourselves!! This was a week when I was truly free to relax (while Jackson shot everything that moved and Levi ate anything that didn't).

















Now, Jacin, on the other hand, may not have experienced the same level of relaxation. Several times I heard him mumble, "Gosh! It's too much work to take 2 kids down to the beach!" And I do understand how sunscreening 2 wild things can be a bit tiring. And Granny & PawPaw? I am completely confident that they thoroughly enjoyed their time with the grandboys. But, I'm equally sure they're wishing they had some additional time off to recover from the week of "vacation" with us.

All in all, it was a great trip. The weather was great, and the company even better. I'm so thankful for the many blessings we get to partake of through God's generosity to our families.

And have I mentioned that I love my 2 little buddies?!















Even without a vacation, I would never trade my stay-at-home moments with my 2 littles for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment