Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Quinoa Casserole (and Ritz crackers)

So I've read a few articles on this stuff called Quinoa. No, I don't know how to pronounce it. My friend Holly has been trying to teach me, but the minute I walk away from her I forget. Anyway, it's a grain that cooks and tastes like white rice but is much better for you. I've wanted to try it, and receiving some for free spurned me on. Thanks, Holly!

I found a recipe for Broccoli Quinoa Casserole and thought I'd give it a go. I added chicken to mine to make it a complete meal. And.... (drumroll, please!)...... it was a success (meaning Jacin and I liked it, there wasn't any leftover, but we'll be making it again soon). But I must admit the term "success" has its limits, defined mainly by Jackson Bird.

Our Pre-Dinner Conversation:
Bird: What are we having for dinner?
Me: This really yummy chicken stuff. You'll love it!
Bird: Nope. I don't want it.
Me: How do you know? I've never even tried it before, but I'm super excited about it. I really think you're gonna like it!
Bird: Nope. I hear my tummy saying it doesn't want it. Hot dog, please.
Me: No. You tell your tummy that we don't eat hot dogs for dinner. We eat what Momma puts on the table.
Bird: Then I'm not eating at the table! (Runs to the den and is then hauled back to the table by Daddy.)

Our During-Dinner Conversation:
Bird: Yuck. I'm not eating this.
Daddy: Listen, I'm not real excited about eating this either, son, but we eat what Momma cooks and we say thank you. (He says all of this while totally missing the look of incredulity on my face.)
Daddy continues (holding out a spoonful of casserole): try this bite please. Now.
Bird: (in tears) Ok, but my tummy doesn't want it. (He eats a bite and gags, but gradually manages to eat and swallow some down, probably because he's bribed by the promise of a Ritz cracker in exchange for each bite successfully chewed and swallowed. No up-chucking allowed.)

Our After-Dinner Conversation:
Me: So what did you guys think of that?
Bird: I liked the crackers.
Daddy (after 3 servings): I love that stuff - however you say it. When can we have that again?

And that, my friends, is what you call a success. And a lesson learned along the way: never underestimate the power of a Ritz cracker.

The recipe I used: http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/blast-from-the-past-with-a-new-twist/

2 comments:

  1. Persistence - congrats! Sounds good. I have some quinoa and I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you liked it. It's pronounced KEEN-wah. It took my sister a good long while to remember it too.

    ReplyDelete