Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Punctuation Marks

I've never understood why students have such a hard time remembering the names of various marks of punctuation (you know - period, comma, apostrophe, and God forbid you ask them to remember the word semicolon). Today, I was explaining how to quote a resource in an essay. It went something like this...

Me: So how do I show that I've copied this sentence from another book?
Class: ...silence...
Me: What mark of punctuation do I use to show these are not my own words? How do I show I'm quoting someone else? (thinking the phrase quoting would be a dead give-away)
Student: Oh!! You use those flying commas!
Me: What?
Student: You know, those flying comma thingys.

It took me a minute to realize that "flying commas" is 7th grade lingo for "quotation marks." I love middle school. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment