Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy 4th of July!

Our 4th of July was pretty laid- back. We spent the weekend at the lake with Meme & RayRay and enjoyed fireworks on the lake Saturday night. Just ask Bird about fireworks. He'll jump up, put his hands in the air and say "Boom! Boom! Boom!"

Jacin was off on Wednesday for the 4th, and we enjoyed just being together as a family. We went to the Nesbitt family cookout at Dude's house for lunch, but only stayed for a little while. It was pretty hot, even in the shade, and I kept feeling like I was going to pass out. Bird had fun, though. Here's a pic:














As you may be able to tell, my face (especially nose & lips), hands, and legs/feet stay a bit swollen these days.  Being pregnant in the summer isn't really super, despite what you may have heard.

After the cookout we came home, took naps, and worked on some projects in Bird's new room. Jacin and I were already a bit tired and frustrated because the we hit a few snags hanging a new ceiling fan, which took 2 hours to install. And all the while Jackson, of course, was talking, climbing the ladder, grabbing Daddy's tools, and crying when we told him he couldn't do something. Whew! Then we made dinner. I tried a new recipe for roasted potatoes and burned them to a crisp. The oven filled with smoke, the kitchen filled with smoke, the smoke detector went off, Rascal cried and turned in circles while Bird ran around saying, "Hear it, Momma? Hear it?!" It was 7:30, and I was ready to just go to bed without dinner. We ended up having a bag of chips to accompany the burgers Jacin cooked on the grill (in the rain).

Once we got Bird to bed, Jacin and I sat down to eat this festive dessert I had made:














Just as I was spooning out the cake into our bowls, Jacin got called in to work. I ate it by myself. Jacin got back in at 5am the next morning and ate his dessert for breakfast.

With all the craziness, the HIGHLIGHT of the day (and really of the past 3 days) is that Bird has settled into his new room and is sleeping in his big boy bed like a champ! The fireworks didn't even wake him last night! Go Bird! Let's hope this round the transition to the big boy bed is permanent. I think it helps that his new sheets and comforter have tractors on them - greatly increases the cool factor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment