Monday, February 7, 2011

Oh Monday, Monday...

Today was a long day. We've started longer work days at school (to make up for the snow days we missed), so I got up at 5am this morning to be at work at 7. After school I left at 4:30, ran to the gym for a super quick work out, then picked up my JBird. When I signed Jackson out of daycare, I saw his check-in time from this morning: 6:40am. I was picking him up at 5:30pm. My kid was at daycare for 11 hours. I cried. I had to run into the bathroom and pull it together before walking into Bird's classroom. I DO NOT LIKE this. I feel like other people are raising my kid, and I don't care for it.

On top of that, my 7th graders acted like complete idiots today (or maybe they weren't acting). I love my job, and I love middle schoolers, but there are times when I feel like I might as well be teaching dogs to knit. For instance, we worked on a comma project last week in class, and it was due today. After spending two days on the project and even having the weekend to finish it (although two class periods was plenty of time), half of my kids didn't bother to turn it in. It counts as a test grade, and many of them dont' give a rip. I know I shouldn't lose sleep over this, but it's hard. I work my tail off trying to come up with ways for the kids to be interested ("engaged" is the current education buzz word) and for the lessons to be meaningful, but I can't force kids to care. Intrinsic motivation is not something I can teach. It's getting harder and harder to give so much of my time and energy babysitting kids who don't care while my own kid is sitting in a daycare. (Can you tell I'm frustrated?!)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I fell down the steps this past weekend. I was carrying the mop and vacuum back out into the garage, going down the steps in my socks with my hands full. My feet went out from under me, and I fell on the concrete garage floor. I have a fat elbow and bruises on my butt and on both hips.  Working out was a bit painful today. Sheeesh.

Maybe tomorrow will be better. Oh... wait... I have to work 9 hours again tomorrow! And the day after that, and the day after that, and the day after that. Summer can't come fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment